Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Photo-a-day: Day 5-9

Patrick and I just got back from a long weekend away...just the TWO of us. It was the first time since before our oldest was born (nearly six years ago now) that we had gone anywhere for an extended period of time...anywhere without our four children that is. As hard as it was to leave our kids, Patrick and I knew taking some time together alone was something that was and is not only necessary, but also vital to the health and growth of our marriage. As absorbed as we are in the roles God called us to be as parents, we have learned even more recently that we need to put just as much emphasis on the roles God called us to be as husband and wife. An incredibly HUGE thank you goes out to my dear parents and oh so sweet sister for taking on the responsibility of looking after our four little blessings in our absence. Without their generosity, our cherished get-a-way would not have been possible.

As far as the photo-a-day challenge goes, I am not going to lie, I don't think I even picked up my camera on Day 5 and Day 6. I know that I could have easily taken any of the following pictures and slapped Friday or Saturday's date on them and called it done. But the point of the challenge for me is to grow in my photography. And I have learned that with that process also comes setbacks. It is those bumps in the road that help encourage my growth and having missed two days, to me, will just encourage me to work with that much more enthusiasm to continue and finish this challenge more successfully. Having said all that, I will warn you that the images I am sharing more than make up for the days of missing photographs...at least as far as quantity goes anyway.

I now present to you...Our weekend Trip to BOSTON!...

Photo(s)-a-day: Day 7

Okay, so having both grown up in a small city, the Boston Transit System for us was quite puzzling at first. Trying to determine which line we needed to take and all the transfers that were involved kept us busy our first day in the city. But by the time we left we were quite the pros!



I have always had this overwhelming obnoxious fear when riding on subways (which, by the way, my sister-in-law thinks may have something to do with the excessive amount of Law-and-Order my mind has absorbed since reaching adulthood). I finally mustered up the courage to take out my camera one of the times we were waiting for the train to come in, but rest assured, other than when I took this next shot, if we were underground, my camera was tucked away for safe keeping.



We spent Sunday morning at the New England Aquarium. I had to take some pictures of the kids favorite sea creatures so I could go back and share with them. Here are just a few:





The city of Boston is full of beautiful architecture. I couldn't resist photographing it.



I am a sucker for shadow pictures. Patrick is one of those people who like to take pictures, but absolutely hates having his picture taken...so as you can imagine, he was not enthused. I wouldn't be surprised if he was sticking his tongue out at me in this one...but thankfully for me, you cannot see it.



Moving on...Quincy Market.



And some more buildings that I don't know the name of, but just thought might like their picture taken (since my husband wouldn't let me take his). haha.









One of the many fine pubs we got to eat at during our stay.



Lunch.



There he is...running away from me the moment I mention I want to try to get another picture of the two of us...and our shadows.



Made a visit to the hot tub just past this sign, in and effort to de-thaw every time we came in from our adventures in the city.



Playing with buttons in the elevator...oh wait...what I meant to say was...waiting patiently for the elevator to take us to our floor at our stay in the city. :)



Photo(s)-a-day: Day 8

The Boston Public Garden...





No...we didn't end up eating here...but I had to take a picture of the sign just so I could at least say I walked by it.



By far, the highlight of Patrick's weekend...





Somehow I managed to get Patrick to agree to another picture of the two of us...and our shadows. Yes, it is not in perfect focus, and yes my camera strap is dangling in front of my neck and looks like a turkey wattle, BUT you can take my word for it, taking a picture while locking lips with this sweet man I call my husband, is not the easiest of all tasks (though I must say, the kissing part is quite enjoyable).



Photo-a-day: Day 9

I almost forgot to take this day's photo until earlier this evening when the girls were seated at the kitchen table doing their homework. I asked who wanted to be my photo-of-the-day and Gabriella jumped right up...which of course was a big surprise to me since she, like her father, is always running away from my camera. Knowing I was quickly losing daylight, I placed her beside the nearest window and this is what she gave me.

3 comments:

Anna February 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

Happy to see all these beautiful, beautiful images - I've been anticipating your photo-a-day challenge photos! Looks like you and Patrick had a great time in Boston... such a beautiful city, especially when captured by an artist! Lovely!

Aimee Ruediger February 11, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

Thank you for a taste of home!! And yes, a few days away...without the kids (annually!) is a MUST!! Glad you had such a great time and I got to reminisce right along with you!!

Glimpses of Green February 12, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

Jess- these photos are great and I'm sooo glad you guys were able to get away together! Hope to see you next week sometime- I'll give you a call or facebook you. :)

The Svoboda Family

My photo
"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP